I use the same mechanism to launch 'site specific browsers apps' created by Fluid.For example I have a JIRA app wrapper which looks for anything staring with To fix things for the moment I simply removed the jdk folders.And then checked that the reported version of Java was 1.6 on each Mac.
Once that was all done, I could log in from all my Macs, fire up the applet and establish a secure connection. I made sure that the Safari and Java preferences were set the same on each machine but still no joy.
For Safari, enable the Develop Window and use an option in there that works. [crarko adds: I don't have an older system active at the moment to try this.
It's inevitable that older software becomes obsolete, the same way older hardware does.
I had tried a ton of suggested fixes for the issue before stumbling upon this work around. In it, I link to the Apple discussion forums at the bottom, where people have been saying that this workaround fixes the issue for them.
[crarko adds: I find I already don't have middle names in any of my Contacts, so I've not seen this.